Published: 21 December, 2017
Website optimization and promotion are too important parts of building an online presence. You need to promote traffic to your page in order to grow. There are many different techniques out there, especially designed to promote traffic. Two of the most common types are SEO and SEM. However, there is a lot of confusion regarding which is what and which is better. Here we describe the two techniques in detail to find out what is the real difference between them.
So, what really is Search engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search engine optimization (SEO) serves as an effective strategy or technique to ensure that a site is searchable by search engines and enhances the probability of the website being found by them.
The purpose of successful SEO is to secure a high-ranking location on the first page of major internet search engines like Yahoo, Bing, and Google. Internet surfers often do not click through multiple pages and it is often said that if you are not on the first page of a search engine, you may as well be nonexistent. Sadly, this is true, which brings us back to SEO. The higher a site naturally rates in organic and natural results of your search, the higher the opportunity that that site will be seen by a customer. Before you actually understand SEO you need to understand the different concepts.
There are basically two types of SEO. An on-page SEO and an off page SEO. Each has its own role to play in promoting your website and raising it to the place where you want it to be. The right SEO is normally a couple of white hat guidelines that site owners and Content suppliers follow to help them achieve an improved ranking and better browsing results. A few of these guidelines include:
- Creating and posting excellent content.
- Using keywords and keyword evaluation.
- Website link building to boost link popularity.
- Using social multimedia links on sites such as Facebook and Tweets.
- Enhancing your site's navigation to provide an outstanding user experience.
Types of On-Page SEO:
- Using keywords properly in subject tags, headers, and Meta descriptions. This involves incorporating the right number of characters in descriptions as well as including seamless keywords in the text as well as heading for the correct number of times. Keyword stuffing, as well as a too low keyword count, are both bad for your SEO.
- Posting websites with quality, shareable content that easily gets ranking in the various search engines. Once you have pleased the engine crawlers you need to appeal to the audience as well. The best way is to write content that is in demand and is searched in large volumes. This allows your site to receive part of the huge traffic that is searching for a particular topic.
- Using clean URLs, the URL should also include simplified, easy to look up keywords, as search engines are also attracted towards them.
- Optimizing the website so it loads quickly on all devices, this is important to enhance user experience. No person will sit for 5 minutes trying to load your website. They will simply skip on to the next page. Your page loading time should be in milliseconds to capture an audience.
- Making it possible for readers to talk about your articles on communal media, enabling a commenting section or including a discussion platform is important as it allows your readers to interact with you and with fellow visitors. This boosts long-term visors on your page and increases organic traffic.
Types of Off-Page SEO:
- Creating an all-natural backlink account from quality websites, this is important to ensure authentic traffic from other notable pages.
- Sharing your articles on public platforms, again this broadens your advertising platform allowing you to approach a bigger audience.
- Gaining attention from important people in your domain, they can help promote your website, they can give you valuable ideas and can even direct part of their own traffic towards your site.
So, what’s Organic and natural Traffic?
Organic and natural traffic is traffic you obtain free of charge from the various search engines. You don’t have to pay for it. You get organic and natural traffic with SEO.
Search Engine Marketing Techniques (SEM)
Search Engine Marketing is much higher than plain SEO but it's only a part of your entire internet marketing Strategy. Search engine marketing, or SEM, includes both search engine optimization (SEO) and paid search, also called PPC (pay-per-click) or CPC (cost-per-click). Search engine marketing encompasses a wide variety of online content enhancement, from boosting content with organic and natural keywords to making sure a website landing page meets Google AdWords quality standards, any web optimization.
However, nowadays, people often refer to SEM as paid search, which is a lot more specific. People have started regarding SEO and SEM as two separate entities. So, basically, now paid search is the new SEM. Then again, what is paid search?
What's Paid Search?
With this facility, you pay a handsome amount to a number of search engines to list your site in their results. This gives you a listing and helps draw visitors to your site. That's called paid search. SO HOW EXACTLY DOES Paid Search Work and how do you set it up? Paid search is basically like heading over to a pond with an expensive fishing rod that will only catch the fish that you want for you, but for a limited time and cost.
If you're enthusiastic about owning a paid search advertising campaign, here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, you need to create a merchant account - Begin by creating an advertisement on an advertisement network. You will have to provide complete information about your business and exactly how you'll purchase your ads.
- Choose your keywords - You'll run ads which are based on your keywords. When people seek out those keywords, they'll see your advertisement. That's why it is important to choose only keywords highly relevant to your niche.
- Bet for the keywords - Unless your keywords are incredibly unique, you will be competing with many other promoters for advertising space. That is why you will need to bet high enough so that folks see your advertising, however, not so high that you limit your ROI.
- Place a headline and information - As your advertising will show on the search engine result page, you will have limited characters for both headline and information. Utilize the space wisely.
- Set your finances - Most advertising programs let you established a regular budget. You need to ensure that it is within your range to be able to proceed for the long run.
- Unveiling your marketing campaign - Once everything is established, launch your advertising campaign with just the click of a button.
What Are A Few Examples Of SEM Activities?
Google AdWords is by far the most popular program for hosting advertisings, but there are a few key activities necessary for successful SEM. You need to be familiar with them in order to make an impact. These include:
- Launching ad promotions with a particular audience (e.g., geographic) at heart. You need to be sure of the audience you are targeting. A broad audience will make your campaign too vague resulting in a much higher competition. A too narrow one will decrease the number of searches and will again lead to small traffic.
- Creating ad communities that contain a focus on keyword variations, this will ensure that you capture audience searching for a variety of items based on your primary keyword.
- Writing relevant advertisement backup using these selective keywords
- Establishing an advertising budget, this is important to set up beforehand. This is because it can be quite expensive and you wouldn’t want your expenditure to be higher than your earnings.
- Monitoring values like clicks, impressions, click on through rates and average cost-per-click to evaluate your website constantly.
- There are many other factors involved in launching and keeping an efficient paid search advertising plan, but these five activities are especially very important for any beginner to understand. If you're considering boosting your SEM work to complement organic and natural SEO, be certain to look into the Google AdWords’ information page for valuable information about how to proceed.
What is the main Difference between SEO and SEM?
Now that you know each of the tactics in detail, what is the basic difference between them? Basically, SEO is a part of SEM. Search engine marketing involves a number of different techniques by which you can approach the online market and SEO are one of them. Hence, SEM employs both paid and organic means of promotion whereas SEO is purely organic.
Today, SEM commonly refers to paid search while SEO is the free means of gaining traffic. When considering which is better for your site, you need to understand the level of your website, to begin with. Employing SEM on a small website that has hardly started will only lead to a massive investment in comparison to the returns. However, well-settled websites can use both means to encourage traffic and generate revenues.
One thing that you need to take care of is to always employ professional services for SEO and SEM. Only someone who understands the technology and purpose of these techniques can do the perfect job for you. Judge wisely and choose the option to boost traffic to your website.